Raben Dentistry wants all of our patients to have the best results and the healthiest outcomes. Here are a few important reminders, instructions and tips related to common dental work. You will receive complete instructions, a statement of benefits and risks, and consent forms prior to any work done in our office. We invite you to call us at 316.683.3000 to discuss treatments and options right for you.
Self-directed, constant use of whitening material for extended periods of time is not advised. Most patients can receive effective whitening treatments in a simple and rapid manner in our office. Visit with us to discover the material and manner most appropriate for you. Here are reminders for keeping your teeth white, and ways to maximize the effectiveness of whitening gel treatments:
- Avoid coffee, tea, cola, berries and red wine
- Don't smoke; use this as an opportunity to quit
- Keep whitening gel away from heat and direct sunlight
- Don't wear upper and lower trays at the same time
- Wear whitening trays only on alternate days to reduce sensitivity
- Don't overfill the trays with whitening gel.
Filling a cavity may cause slight discomfort for a few hours following the procedure. The anesthesia will wear off approximately one to three hours following your appointment. Here are a few tips for caring for your teeth following a filling:
- Don't chew food on the numb side of your mouth
- Limit very hot or cold liquids and food, as increased sensitivity is normal
- Slight irritation to the surrounding gum tissue is also normal for a few days
Extracting a tooth is a minor surgical procedure, so it's natural that changes in your mouth will occur as a result. You should be feeling better within 24 to 48 hours. If not, and your discomfort increases, or if you have any unusual symptoms, call our office at 316.683.3000. Follow a few simple tips to help promote healing, prevent complications, and to make yourself comfortable:
- Keep firm pressure on the gauze pack at the extraction site for 30 to 45 minutes to limit bleeding
- Reduce continued bleeding by placing a clean folded piece of gauze on the site
- Don't suck on the extraction site
- Reduce slight swelling and discomfort by applying a cold compress to your face
- If an antibiotic has been prescribed, take the entire prescription per instructions
- Don't smoke, drink through a straw, rinse vigorously, or spit for three to five days
If you have any concerns or experience unusual pain, bleeding or other symptoms, call immediately, at 316.683.3000.